2006-S $5 San Francisco Old Mint Commemorative Proof Gold Coin
The 2006-S $5 San Francisco Old Mint Commemorative Proof Gold Coin was issued by the US Mint to mark the 100th anniversary of the building’s survival during the 1906 earthquake and fire.
|Mintage: 100,000 maximum across all product options
Final Mintage: 44,174
Authorizing Coin Law
U.S. Mint Online Site
Construction of the building (now nicknamed the "Granite Lady") began in 1870 under the watchful eye of Alfred Bult Mullett, Supervising Architect of the Treasury Department. The building was completed and put into operation in 1874.
In the earthquake and following fire in San Francisco in 1906, the Granite Lady survived virtually undamaged when all of the surrounding commercial district laid in ruin. Its tough structure allowed it to open making it the only financial institution in the area able to do so and allowing it to become the depository and treasury for the city’s relief fund.
2006 Old Mint Coins
The United States Mint created a total of four coins to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the San Francisco Old Mint’s survival of the earthquake of 1906. These coins were:
- 2006-S $5 San Francisco Old Mint Commemorative Proof Gold Coin
- 2006-S $5 San Francisco Old Mint Commemorative Uncirculated Gold Coin
- 2006-S San Francisco Old Mint Commemorative Proof Silver Dollar
- 2006-S San Francisco Old Mint Commemorative Uncirculated Silver Dollar
A surcharge was added to the sale of each of these coins with the proceeds going to the San Francisco Museum and Historical Society to help rehabilitate and re-purpose the Old Mint building.
Each Old Mint Gold Coin is struck from 90% gold to the diameter of 0.850 inches.
The US Mint released the San Francisco Old Mint Gold Coin on August 15, 2006.
Initial price on the Old Mint Coin was $230.00.
U.S. Mint Production Facility
An ‘S’ mintmark on each gold coin indicates it was struck at the US Mint’s facility in San Francisco.
Designer & Sculptor
The obverse (heads side) of the coin shows the Old Mint building. The design was based on an 1869 construction drawing by Supervising Architect A.B. Mullett.
The reverse (tails side) features a reproduction of the 1906 Half-Eagle Coronet Liberty eagle reverse, designed by Christian Gobrecht.
|Composition:||90% gold, 10% alloy|
|Standard Weight:||8.359 g|
|Standard Diameter:||0.850 inches|