2009 Taylor $1 Coin and Medal Set
The final of five sets from the US Mint to appear in 2009 containing representatives of the Presidential $1 Coin Series and the First Spouse Gold Coin Series was the 2009 Taylor $1 Coin and Medal Set.
|Ending Sales Date: tbd
Authorizing Coin Law
U.S. Mint Online Site
This particular set included an uncirculated Zachary Taylor Presidential $1 Coin and a bronze medal replica of the Margaret Taylor First Spouse Gold Coin. Taylor was the twelfth President of the United States and served from 1849-1850 before passing away only sixteen months into his term.
The US Mint typically releases these sets at a rate of four per year.
Presidential Coin & Spouse Medal Sets
The Zachary Taylor Presidential $1 Coin and Margaret Taylor First Spouse Bronze Medal Set mark the thirteenth such set to appear from the US Mint. The first set released back in 2007 honored George Washington and his wife Martha. The complete list of those honored in 2007, 2008 and 2009 is shown below.
- 2007 – George Washington and Martha Washington
- 2007 – John Adams and Abigail Adams
- 2007 – Thomas Jefferson and Liberty
- 2007 – James Madison and Dolley Madison
- 2008 – James Monroe and Elizabeth Monroe
- 2008 – John Quincy Adams and Louisa Adams
- 2008 – Andrew Jackson and Liberty
- 2008 – Martin Van Buren and Liberty
- 2009 – William Henry Harrison and Anna Harrison
- 2009 – John Tyler and Letitia Tyler
- 2009 – John Tyler and Julia Tyler
- 2009 – James K. Polk and Sarah Polk
- 2009 – Zachary Taylor and Margaret Taylor
The authorizing legislation makes allowances for those Presidents who served without a spouse by dictating that an image of the mythical figure of Liberty be used on the Spouse Coins and Medals.
Both the Zachary Taylor Presidential $1 Coin as well as the Margaret Taylor First Spouse Bronze Medal are mounted to a plastic card that is imprinted with colorful images of the honored individuals.
The United States Mint released the Taylor Coin and Medal Set on December 17, 2009.
The US Mint released the Polk Set for $8.95 each.
U.S. Mint Production Facility
The uncirculated Presidential Coin included in the set was minted at the US Mint’s facility in Philadelphia.
Designer & Sculptor / Engraver
Don Everhart has the distinction of designed and sculpting both the obverse (heads side) and reverse (tails side) of the Zachary Taylor Coin. A portrait of Taylor is shown on the obverse while an image of the Statue of Liberty is featured on the reverse.
Phebe Hemphill sculpted the portrait of Margaret Taylor that is found on the obverse of her First Spouse Coins and Medals. It was sculpted by Charles Vickers. The reverse shows Margaret nursing a wounded soldier during the Seminole War. It was designed by Mary Beth Zeitz and sculpted by Jim Licaretz.
|Standard Weight:||8.1 g|
|Standard Diameter:||1.043 in. or
- 2009 Harrison $1 Coin and Medal Set
- 2009 Tyler $1 Coin and Letitia Medal Set
- 2009 Tyler $1 Coin and Julia Medal Set
- 2009 Polk $1 Coin Medal Set
- 2009-W $10 Margaret Taylor First Spouse Gold Proof Coin
- 2009-W $10 Margaret Taylor First Spouse Gold Uncirculated Coin